Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sports Confession

I love sports. There is no simpler way to put it. If there ever was something to know about me, it is that I am a religious follower of almost every sport that exists, be it baseball, basketball, football, lacrosse, golf, tennis, volleyball, swimming, track, bowling, hockey, and even poker. Every Saturday and Sunday, I am either at a friend’s house or at my house cooped in front of the TV watching football or basketball. Of course if I had homework, I would definitely be sitting at home working diligently to finish my ineffably important work with such quality that even a scholar in the subject would find it hard to find an error. Hopefully, that moving confession regarding my brilliant homework didn’t sound as unconvincing to you as it did to me, but if anyone believes the statement, I’m all for it. My love for sports extends almost to a fault, as it can be distracting at times when school overloads me with work. My parents call it an obsession; I call it a valuable source of entertainment and a useful and productive hobby. True, it may sometimes get in the way of my homework, but there is something about watching that team or individual on the television screen giving everything they have for the sake of a victory that invokes this deep emotion, this strong determination inside of me like nothing else can. If you think about it, sports basically personify determination and sacrifice; players have to fight through injury and the death of others while maintaining a steely perseverance, never losing sight of their goal. It is very easy to get lost in the competitiveness of any sport and lose sight of the major lessons that can be learned. Throughout my life, I have drawn inspiration from athletes that give up so much for the help of their team and achieving their goal. So, if there is anything that people need to know about me, it is that I love sports, not only for the entertainment, but also for the inspiration and lessons that can be taken from them.
Usually at school Indians, as a race are perceived as those ho study a lot and don't do much more. I would like to just throw out there the fact that most of us, like me for example, don't study very much at all, but instead have other activities that occupy our times whether it be computers, video games, or sports as it is with me. On a side note, if Joe Lee does not comment on this post, I will be very disappointed. To make this blog entry a little bit literary, I would like to comment a little bit about the Miller in the "Miller's Tale." To say he is a disgusting character does not really seem to fully capture his persona, and the fact that people like him actually exist in the world makes it even worse. The actual story he told was somewhat surprising though considering the initial image that is given. You expected a disgusting tale, yet to my eyes, the tale did not seem too disgusting. Although, to the people of that time, having a lover other than a spouse, especially in a women might have been disgusting. Those were my views on the tale at face value, or after my first skim through the story.

2 comments:

  1. WOW, totally my world. I don’t know how much time, exactly, I spend watching, reading, re-watching, etc. hockey, but it definitely takes a toll in the end because I am not Indian. My sport obsession runs about the same, though mine is more hockey related then sports in general. This being said, I might not be able to recall how to find the derivative of an anti-derivative (I think that makes since), but I can name at least ten players from each NHL team with their stats, recent teams and etc. In the end, my world too revolves around sports, and it takes away a ton of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprising, isn't it that your introduction for this blog sounds an awful a lot like one of your college essays. Am I right? I cannot believe that you did such a thing (I could be wrong), but even if you did incorporate some of your essay into this blog, i applaud your efforts. You decided to be different, and most of all, a fighter. Technically, you are supposed to discuss your AMAZING experiences that relate to AP Lit, but looks like you are protesting a little. Gasp, I foresee an uprising!!! However, I see that in the end, you do include a small section about the Miller's tale, but the majority is explaining your love for sports. Maybe Mrs. Clinch will allow us to express our feelings on other things that are not specifically related to AP Literature. I understand that it becomes difficult to express feelings solely on literature or class experiences, but WE CAN GET THROUGH IT! But besides your semi-revolt, i agree with your opinion about sports.
    I share the same feeling; maybe not all sports, but for most i do. I also agree with your opinion, "sports basically personify determination and sacrifice; players have to fight through injury and the death of others while maintaining a steely perseverance, never losing sight of their goal." Your summary in this one sentence contains one-hundred percent the reason why i play lacrosse. Of course it is also to stay fit, but i feel as if lacrosse allows myself to become mature not only as a teenage boy, but also as a future adult. No matter what adventures or struggles we endure through, we must have the determination to fight. When going to college, we will need this determination more then than ever. With all the distractions that college provides: drinking, partying, having a great time, or even relaxing, I see that sports is a great role model to rely on. Although watching sports may be distracting also, at least we are learning a valuable character trait while we are watching; however, do not allow sports to kill all of your time like you mentioned above. It will harm you like the addiction that you know i have currently. (Don't worry Mrs. Clinch, it's a legal addiction). Because of this, I find myself wasting sometimes hours of my time that i could be UTILIZING (I'm just teasing you Mrs. Clinch) for studying. Besides that I hope that sports give you an inspiration boost for the rest of your future education and career. Unfortunately, I do not have such a role model i can so passionately rely on. I hope that i will be lucky enough to discover a role model to which i can be entertained and learn from.
    Additionally, i find it hilarious that you would be disappointed if i did not comment on your blog. Is that because of all the jokes i make? But I officially commented on your blog, so i hope you're content.

    ReplyDelete