Sunday, February 7, 2010

Raising the Bar

As we continue to read what I see now to be an amazing play by Shakespeare, the plot constantly thickens and becomes more interesting. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical at first, at least in terms of the play being as good as it is thought to be. Before we read the play in class, some motifs and themes were discussed such as the sense of duty many of the characters displayed and the presence of many questions, but the sheer genius and numerous meanings the one could take from the play were also talked about a great deal. This to me kind of set the bar rather high, in terms of the confusion I was expecting to feel and the multiple meaning I was expecting to find, for Hamlet, a play that is widely regarded as one of the greatest tragedies of all time and an extremely famous play recognizable to almost all of the educated population. Although the bar was set rather high, I had a hard time believing that the bar could ever be met for how could one play be so full of meaning and wordplay to warrant the extensive study that had been done and the extensive study that we were going to do on it. When Ms. Clinch said that we could easily spend more than three months unraveling the mysteries of the play, my skepticism only increased. True, Shakespeare is brilliant, but I had read his plays before and not been completely lost.
Then…. we started reading the play, and I was not disappointed, although I not sure if that is a good thing or not at this point in time. The meaning is in abundance as there are multiple ways you can read the novel and the confusion is at an all time high as if I attempt to read any of the play by myself, I find myself completely lost. In terms of meaning, we have discussed four or five scenes that can be interpreted in multiple ways. That it already twenty-five different reading that can be done on the play and that is not even scratching the surface. An example of this is with the scene when he is with Ophelia. Hamlet can be seen as angry the whole time, or angry after a little bit; he can be seen as knowing that Polonius and Claudius are listening at the beginning of his talk, the middle of his talk, or never during his talks. On top of this, the wordplay is rather unbelievable as one word can have two or three meaning each offering a different perspective of the scene.
So far in class, we have read through Act IV, and it has definitely gotten interesting as I can only anticipate how Hamlet will go about ruining Claudius after missing his chance to kill the man after hearing his confession. I also wonder how Gertrude and Ophelia will end up when all is said and done. I guess all I can hope is that the ending matches the interest and confusion of what I have read so far. I am pretty certain that I will not be disappointed.
Now, it is time to get off of my friends laptop and watch the SUPERBOWL.

No comments:

Post a Comment